Thursday, July 10, 2003

On Battling Depression

This was posted on an e-group I belong to in answer to a person who spoke of her long-time battle with depression:

"I quit looking so far into the future and focused exclusively on today. I wanted to live the best I could under the circumstances I was in, even though those weren't very good. (And when I finally learned to do that, my circumstances changed for the better!) Each morning, I counted my blessings - a roof over my head, something to eat, my children, the sound of the wind chimes on my porch, etc. I determined to become healthy in every way. I exercised (just short walks at first, nothing big!), I watched what I ate (grew a lot of my own veggies), avoided watching depressing or upsetting TV shows and movies, and read everything I could find about positive thinking. Books I found most helpful were: Emotionally Free by Rita Bennett, The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale, The Prayer of Jabez by Bruce Wilkinson, and The Courage to be Rich by Suze Orman. There are lots of others - look at your local library or bookstore in the self-help section. You deserve to be happy, and God/dess wants to give you blessings. Changing the kind of energy around you DOES make a difference!

No comments: