Tuesday, May 1, 2001

WOW!!! I just discovered that I don't need to put the date in the body of the entry. I am just now learning how to do this all, ladies!!! OK, first off I have been contemplating May Day and wondering why we don't do May Poles and baskets of flowers anymore? I did an online search of May Day and here is how the US used to celebrate:

United States: The Puritans frowned on May Day, so the day has never been celebrated with as much enthusiasm in the United States as in Great Britain. But May Day is celebrated by dancing and singing around a maypole tied with colorful streamers or ribbons. The dancers twist the streamers around the pole to make a pretty pattern to be enjoyed by all. On college campuses a May queen is often chosen and the old dances are performed around a maypole. Children often gather spring flowers, place them in handmade paper May baskets and hang them on the doorknobs of relatives and friends--they ring the doorbells and run away, leaving their flowers as a surprise. At May Day parties children select May queens, dance around the maypole, and sing May Day songs. These festivals often occur in parks or schools.

Sounds sinister, right? Sigh. I know that the day had a pagan background but it was a lovely happy time that I remember with fondness.

No comments: