Monday, April 19, 2010

A Final Update on My Father...


Some of you have known me long enough, or knew my dad, and I
really should call you, not email you. But I found that I
couldn't bear saying the words over and over again. Right
now I'm numb. But the storm is coming...

My father, James Alfred Lyles, died this morning at 5:28AM.
He was sedated and peaceful and surrounded by 2 of his four
daughters and his wife of 55 years...

I think in music much of the time when happy/sad, and this
is the song that came to mind this morning as my sister
told me dad had died (with a few word changed to fit the situation)...

Why does the sun go on shining?
Why does the sea rush to shore?
Don't they know it's the end of the world,
`cause you don't live here anymore?

Why do the birds go on singing?
Why do the stars glow above?
Don't they know it's the end of the world?
It ended when I lost my dad.

I wake up in the morning and I wonder why ev'rything's the same as
it was.
I can't understand, no I can't understand, how life goes on the
way it does!

Why does my heart go on beating?
Why do these eyes of mine cry?
Don't they know it's the end of the world?
It ended when you left this earth.

(kind of an oldie, I know)
I am home from work today. I was awake from 2:35AM on and I don't think sleep is going to get any easier anytime soon...

I hope to emotionally get to this song...but I'm not there yet:

And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

3 comments:

Brian said...

A beautiful and heartbreaking post, Debra. My thoughts are with you through this most difficult time. I'm glad his passing was peaceful and he was with loved ones.

Peace,
Brian

Elbeux said...

So sorry for your loss, my love. Let me know if you need anything.

MsCdukes said...

I know your heartbreak... I know it feels like the end of the world. I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad Dec. 20th, 2009.. It still feels like it happened yesterday..
If you want to chat my email is clairembnn@hotmail.com