Friday, October 16, 2009

Superfluous...


Today I am feeling superfluous...and also hurt. Let me explain...

Main Entry: su·per·flu·ous
Pronunciation: \s-ˈpər-flü-əs\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin superfluus, literally, running over, from superfluere to overflow, from super- + fluere to flow — more at fluid
Date: 15th century
1 a : exceeding what is sufficient or necessary : extra b : not needed : unnecessary

My 15 year old son is going to the homecoming dance tomorrow night. No biggie, he went last year. But this year he tells me he is going "stag". Alone. No date. I take him at his word and don't question him, because he so rarely lies to me. So, this morning we are all at the coffee shop on the way to work (we being myself, my husband, my son) and his dad asks who he is taking to homecoming. I say he's going stag. Sean nods his head. Jon stops walking, looks at Sean and says, no. No you aren't. Sean looks at him and says, yes I am. Jon says no you aren't, are you? To which sean mumbles ummmmm.

OK...so he's going with Brittany. And why did he lie to me? Because "you'd make a fuss". And what is the fussI would make? Making sure he didn't go in ratty jeans and a UT tee shirt and making sure the girl had a flower. I ask you...IS THAT A FUSS?


SIGH. I feel utterly dis-mommified.
*pout*

No comments: