Wednesday, August 26, 2009

One woman's purse is another woman's nightmare...





















That I would even be writing a blog post about purses/messenger bags is ironic. I'm not a girlie girl. I don't care what my purse/bag looks like, I care how it FUNCTIONS. But I discovered some interesting things about purses/bags and thought I'd share my thoughts.

Two years ago for Christmas, my husband bought me a black messenger bag. Big enough to carry stuff, but often difficult to find said stuff in as it had one, big, main pocket. It did have 2 thinner pockets on the outside (front/back) but as an organizer it sucked. However, for 2 years I have carried it AND my backpack, to and from work. When we go someplace other than work, I grab just the messenger bag. I was content, but my messenger bag was wearing out after 2 years of steady use...

Enter, my friend with a purse with all those pockets and places to stick stuff. It was western style (which I don't do) and had this cute little silver heart on it, so I said, "Cute purse." That was the beginning. Evidently commenting on your friends cute purse can cause said friend to decide to purse-shop for you.

The first purse she found for me had many of those cute pockets in which to stick stuff. But overall it was too small. I couldn't put the things in the purse that I need to carry...

Oh, let me clarify here...I don't own a working vehicle. I ride the city bus. This means when you leave your house, you cannot get 2 blocks away and realize, OMG, I forgot something, turn back and retrieve it. You have to have EVERYTHING you need (or might need) on you, or you are out of luck. Which is why my purse/bag had to be larger/deeper than maybe a normal woman's purse/bag.

Ok, on to purse #2 that said friend purchased for me. This purse was almost big enough. It had a few pockets that made it more organized. BUT, the strap was shorter than on my messenger bag (I ALWAYS carry a shoulder-strap bag) and this made it get tangled in my backpack straps when I was putting on my backpack. AND, worst of all, it was made of LEATHER. Now this leather thing wouldn't have been an issue if the strap had been longer. However, because the strap was shorter, this put the LEATHER purse up in my armpit, between my body and my upper arm. Can anyone say OMG HOT?????!!!!! I discovered I cannot bear leather near my flesh in 98+ degree weather.

So, I went shopping online for a bag to replace the purse my friend gave me. And I found it. It's big enough for everything I carry (lotion, hand sanitizer, a brush, my breathing medicine, my journal, the book I am currently reading, the multi-colored pens I use to write in my journal, my wallet, my motrin, my keys and even, in a pinch, my umbrella)!!! And, with this bag, suddenly I don't have to carry a backpack!!! Hooray!!!

Anyway, that's why I felt compelled to write this. Because to my friend, my bag/messenger bag is a fashion nightmare, whereas to me the leather bag was a practicality nightmare. Hence the title of this blog. *Grin*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about moving the longer strap to the new bag?

Kris said...

I am crazy about purses. When I go shopping with Tyler he walks behind me and puts his hands on either side of my face like blinders when we get close to the purse section. LOL. I love purses!

MysticBlueRose said...

Raymond: The new bag is canvas. It has the longer strap. The leather bag was the shorter strap. You cannot put a canvas strap on the leather bag.

Kris: Wow. I just don't do shopping well. I don't care. I have one purse at a time. And it has to FUNCTION. I don't care what it looks like. Oh, and it has to be black. Because my one pair of shoes is black. :oP

Cindi said...

I don't take the bus to work, but I do tote just about everything I own around with me, including my mini dell for those times I get stuck waiting for the girls for long periods of time. So I want a "purse" with a computer compartment. I found one I really liked a few weeks ago at Sear's...their "right price" line. Even though it was available in black, I opted for the dusty rose one with the black stiching/straps. Love dusty rose. It has a bunch of pockets, and compartments, and a computer sleeve and cosmetic case...both multi colored stripes and very colorful. I like it a lot. The problem comes when I have to lift it. It weighs a ton. The other night while hanging out waiting for one of the girls, I happened upon a lunch bag in the back to school stuff. Color coordinated no less. Black with dusty rose stitching. I am not much concerned with fashion...and function is my main concern....but I like that they match. I also like it that the lunch bag is big enough to fit in a healthy choice "bowl", a couple bottles of water, an oversized coffee cup etc. etc. etc.

Enjoy your new bag :)

Bluemonkey said...

Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to find the right bag. :)